Spontaneous Cuisine: Lebanese zucchini salad: great picnic dish
Mezze: summer vegetables with a new twist for your picnics
What are summer vegetables for us are year-long vegetables for the Lebanese and Syrians.
Choosing your courgettes or zucchini
Zucchini should be dark green and firm to the touch. Avoid wrinkly-looking courgettes, which are not fresh.
Choose young, small ones. The taste is more delicate and sweeter. Larger older courgettes often have large seeds, and tend to be bitter.
Recipe for mezze-style courgette (zucchini) salad
This is a kid-friendly recipe.
- Wash 2 kg of zucchini, using a brush to gently scrape off dirt.
- Cut into large cubes. Steam until just cooked, but still a little crunchy. Drain if they are watery.
- Put steamed cubes in a large mixing bowl and mash with a large fork, or purée in a moulinette or food processor, until smooth with no lumps. Be careful not to overdo it or it will turn liquidy.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add 8 tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste; can be found in foreign food section of most large supermarkets or in Oriental stores) or sesame oil, 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 6 to 8 cloves of finely chopped garlic. Salt to taste.
- Add sauce to zucchini. Mix. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Put into serving dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add Sicilian or Italian cherry tomatoes to decorate. It can also be sprinkled with chopped Italian (flat) parsley to add more color and vitamins.
This article was originally published on Geneva Lunch.