by Tamar Chamlian
Quinoa is a health food addict’s best friend. I have a love affair with it.
If I were to tell you that it could be used in 101 ways, yes there would be. I’ll keep it simple to start, however, by listing 5 easy, quick-fix ways to incorporate this magic grain in your everyday meals.
Do you want to know what so “magical” about quinoa? Its glory is that it is high in protein and fiber, yet provides you with lots of long-lasting, balanced energy.
But I don’t only like quinoa because of its nutritional values. I also like it because it is easy to combine it with other ingredients when cooking.
I often come home after a long day and the just the thought of thirty minutes in the kitchen making a big homemade meal overwhelms me. And can my digestive system really handle a big heavy meal?
The quinoa is sitting there, set, ready to go in just 10 minutes (and sometimes even less).
Here are my 5 easy, healthy quick-fix dishes:
- Mix cooked quinoa with salad greens, small green peas, corn, steamed zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and lemon juice. Add some salt and pepper, and you have a wonderful salad that can serve as a well-balanced meal
- Substitute it for rice as a side for grilled vegetables and chicken.
- Growing up in the Middle East, we regularly had tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is made with bulgur. I now cook my traditional homemade tabbouleh with quinoa. The replacement of bulgur with quinoa is much healthier and lower in carbohydrates.
- Eat quinoa as a breakfast cereal. Simply mix the cooked quinoa with non-dairy milk and let it simmer. Add some slivered almonds and cranberries. Add cinnamon if you want to spice it up.
- Substitute your burger patties with a mixture quinoa and chickpea patties. Add herbs and spices, such as paprika, cumin, garlic, coriander, and thyme.
Quinoa is revolutionary in the world of cereals and grains. It is chock-full of nutrition and fiber.
- Health Challenge: 5 easy ways to make your lasagne healthier
- Health Challenge: Getting your vitamin D fix this winter
- Lemon, Carrot and Parsley Quinoa Cakes