Mediterranean Food Connection: Zucchini and preserved lemon salad, a recipe by Christophe Certain
Recipe translated from the French and adapted by Jonell Galloway
This recipe is perfect for Ramadan.
Ingredients2 onions, chopped 4 zucchini / courgettes 1 tablespoon of capers in vinegar 1 preserved lemon (see note I posted here a month or so ago about how to make them), chopped into 3 mm / 1/8” cubes Salt Pepper Olive oil or butter
Large, deep frying pan
- Heat olive oil or butter. Sautée onions.
- While onions are cooking, wash zucchini / courgettes. Start by cutting off ends, then cut then slice them into medium-thick slices, leaving the skin on.
- When onion is translucent, add zucchini / courgettes. Mix well, but gently.
- Let this mixture cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, until the water from zucchini / courgette has evaporated. They should remain crunchy, but if you prefer them soft, just cook them a little longer.
- Add capers and chopped lemon.
- Leave on burner for a few minutes, gently stirring, so that the zucchini / courgette will absorb the lemon flavor.
- This dish can be eaten warm with chicken or fish, for example, or cold, as a salad.
You can view the original recipe in French on Christophe’s website Cuisine Pied Noir.