by Jonell Galloway
Apple Custard Oatmeal Filling
For one 9-inch pie crust
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 cups brown sugar
1 cup melted butter
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups peeled, cored, sliced cooking apples
2 egg whites, beaten until they form hard peaks
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Beat 6 egg yolks and 4 egg whites until smooth.
- Add sugar, oats, melted butter, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Add apples and mix gently.
- Pour into prepared 9-inch crust (see below).
- Carefully spread the 2 beaten egg whites over the top.
- Bake at 400° F for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 325° F.
- Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Cool before cutting so that the custard will set.
Butter Pie Crust
Makes two 9-inch pie crusts
1 1/8 cups flour, sifted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup butter, cold
5 T. + 1 t. water, cold
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients using two knives or a pastry cutter, adding cold water little by little.
- Form dough into two balls. Chill for a few minutes.
- Roll dough out so that it fits into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Line pie pan with dough.
- Blind bake in a 400° C oven for 10 minutes.