Spontaneous Cuisine: Scallops, Green Asparagus and Strawberry Balsamic Sauce Recipe
This is another low-fat, high-fiber meal that fits perfectly in to any weight loss plan. All these ingredients are available as of late April in Switzerland.
Ingredients4 to 6 scallops per person 6 to 8 spears of green asparagus per person Balsamic vinegar 500 grams / 1 lb. strawberries (for 3 or 4 servings) Szechwan pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Wash, top and slice strawberries. Put into a medium-size saucepan. Cover with Balsamic vinegar, until vinegar is about 2.54 cm / 1 inch above strawberries. Add Szechwan pepper to taste.
- Bring strawberries and Balsamic vinegar mixture to a boil, then turn heat down to medium, stirring from time to time. Cook until it forms a sauce of a syrupy consistency, with bits of strawberry in the “syrup”. This usually takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut off any woody-looking ends on asparagus. Spread on a broiler pan/roasting tin. Salt and pepper to taste. Use a metal spatula to distribute salt and pepper evenly.
- When broiler is hot, put them under broiler, turning from time to time. I like mine a little crunchy, which usually takes about 5 minutes cooking times, depending on the diameter of course.
- In the meantime, brush a cast iron or Swiss Diamond frying pan with olive oil. Heat until oil just starts to steam.
- Add scallops. Cook 2 minutes, then turn and cook 2 minutes on other side. They should brown, but not burn. Browning helps keep the juices in.
Arrange scallops and green asparagus on individual plates. Evenly distribute strawberry and vinegar sauce over asparagus.