Cross-Continental Cuisine: Chicken Liver Pâté with Cava and Ginger Sangria
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Total: 30 min plus cooling time
Yield: 4 ramequins
For the pâté:
175 ml cava or other sparkling wine
200 gr cleaned chicken livers
150 gr chicken breast
1 laurel leaf
250 gr butter
1 pinch of salt
For the decorative jelly:
125 ml cava or other sparkling wine
125 ml water
10 gr neutral gelatin
Carrot shaped like a flower
Preparing the Jelly
- Put water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add gelatin, stirring until totally dissolved.
- Add cava, and mix well. Pour a tablespoon of liquid gelatin into each of the molds.
- Place carrot flowers and chives at the bottom of the mold. Cool in refrigerator, so that decoration will stay in place.
- Remove from fridge, and add more gelatin. This gelatin layer will help prevent the pâté from oxidating.
- Put back in fridge until completely set.
Preparing the Chicken Liver Pâté
- In a steamer pot, put 150 ml cava, laurel leaf, and peppercorns, and bring to soft boil.
- Add chicken livers and breast and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Steam over low heat for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Set aside chicken livers, breast, and peppercorns.
- Using an electric mixer, blend butter, chicken livers and breast, peppercorns, 25 ml cava, and salt to taste until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over gelatin, and let it cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- To unmold the pâté, run the tip of a knife around the edge of the mold.
- Invert the mold onto a serving plate.
- Dampen kitchen towels in hot water, wring out, and apply to outside of mold for 30-60 seconds.
- Pâté can be frozen. Just remember to take it out of the freezer one hour before serving.